Cancer refers to a group of diseases caused by the abnormal rate of cell division and the spreading of these cells to other tissues and organs of the body. Every year cancer claims several lives globally. Early detection by advanced diagnostic methods increases the chances of cancer cure. The best cancer center Los Angeles uses advanced cancer diagnosis and treatment methods to ensure early cure.
Growth Of Cancer And Metastasis
In a healthy body, there exists a normal cycle of cell division, whereby old cells die off and new cells take their place. The rate of cell division depends on the type of the cell. Cancer affects the normal working of the cell division cycle leading to abnormal cell division due to the mutations in DNA.
DNA is the genetic material that contains the genetic information of the individual. It has instructions that decide the cell functions and the pattern of their division and growth. Cells usually correct the mutations that occur in the DNA of individuals but in some cases, the mutations are left as such, thereby leading to cancer.
Due to mutations, old cells that should normally die off remain in the body and new cells form even when they aren’t needed. The uncontrolled division of extra cells leads to the formation of tumor that causes various health problems depending on their location in the body.
There are two types of tumors.
- Benign tumors: They are less severe tumors, as they do not spread to the nearby tissues and organs.
- Malignant tumors: Malignant tumors spread from one part of the body to the other.
Risk Factors Of Cancer
Mutations are the direct cause of cancers and they can be inherited (genetic mutations) or can develop after birth due to environmental forces like:
- Exposure to carcinogens
- Exposure to UV rays from the sun
- Type of diet and physical activity level
- Viruses like human papilloma virus
- Exposure to radiation
Increasing age and pre-existing health conditions that cause inflammation increase cancer risk.
Here are some of the ways to prevent cancer.
- Avoid tobacco use
- Choose a healthy diet
- Maintain healthy weight and stay fit by taking regular exercise
- Stay protected from the sun as exposure to UV rays can increase the risk of skin cancer
- Don’t share needles while using prescription drugs
Several advancements in cancer research across the globe have been contributing significantly to cancer treatment and diagnosis.