In case you are hurt or bitten by a dog, you are eligible to claim different kinds of compensations from the owner which includes financial loss. Your claim could be settled either through a trial or through an outside settlement. Both has its own share of advantages and disadvantages. It is advisable to consult a dog bite attorney in the event of a dog bite before moving ahead legally. Below is a discussion on the various ways of dog bite case settlement and their advantages.
The Benefits of Settling a dog bite case outside of Court
Many people prefer not visiting a court for their case of a dog bite. This approach has a number of benefits such as:
• Faster Financial Recovery: this type of approach would be settled faster. This means the money that they claim would be paid off faster when compared to the dispute-ridden trials.
• Faster Resolution: in case the victim decides to move without a trial, the case would be resolved much faster. This would mean an easier resolution as they would have wanted.
• Better Power over the Outcome: Settling allows the victim to be sure about the amount of money they would receive. Besides, it removes the risks involved in a case with the trial.
The Importance of Skilled Negotiation
Official settlement begins when the victim sends a demand to the at-fault party’s insurer. This letter should mention the reason why the company should pay for the damages. It should also contain details of how the value was reached. In majority of cases, this would be countered and negotiations would continue until both parties reach an agreement.
Once the settlement is agreed to, the victim will no longer have the power to claim more damage compensation. This is because all the agreed terms would be in written form and it would be closed once the agreement is reached. Hence, it is important to stick to your stance until a fair agreement is reached by both parties.
Defining a Fair Settlement
A fair settlement involves providing compensation to victims for their damages and injuries and considering the following things.
• What compensation the law allows: including medical expenses, lost income, and other expenses.
• The quality of evidence provided, and the possibility of a court award: The victim’s ability to prove the damages and their extent, they would receive the compensation they deserve.
Make sure you consult a dog bite lawyer in an event of a dog bite to claim the settlements mentioned legally.